The South Florida Theatre League has announced the winners of this year’s Remy Awards. They annually go to “the unsung heroes who provide outstanding service behind the scenes of the South Florida Theatre League Community.”
This year, award recipients will receive them via livestream on Zoom and Facebook Live at 7:30 p.m. Monday, July 27 at https://www.facebook.com/SouthFloridaTheatreLeague. Performances will accompany the awards presentation. Specifically, award recipients will choose an artist to perform during his or her individual presentation.
While people can access the livestream without a ticket, event organizers encourage donations to the South Florida Theatre League Relief Fund. It began this year in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. To date, the fund has raised more than $10,000 to artists and theater workers who have lost work due to the pandemic.
The 2020 Remy Award recipients are:
- The Pioneer Award will go to Matt Stabile, artistic director of Theatre Lab at Florida Atlantic University. It is the professional resident company of FAU. Each year, the Pioneer Award goes to individuals who have, over the years, taken the lead and contributed substantially to the health, growth and development of the South Florida theater community.
- The Service Award will go to Tim Davis, producing artistic director of Ft. Lauderdale-based New City Players. Each year, the award goes to either individuals or organizations. It’s intended to recognize invaluable and outstanding contributions made through time, talent, service, and expertise by taking the initiative and actively participating and contributing to the growth and development of the South Florida Theatre League.
- The Jay Harris Arts Leadership Award will go to Steven M. Weinger, president of GableStage’s board of directors. The award’s namesake is “one of South Florida’s most dedicated arts patrons, according to the South Florida Theatre League. The honor is intended for those who’ve made a substantial contribution to the theatrical community in the ways that Harris did. They included through leadership, on-going volunteerism, and financial support.
- Outstanding Board Member honors will go to Gustavo Meimbiela of Area Stage.
- The Civic Arts Leadership Award will go to Marialaura Leslie, of Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs.
- The Outstanding Behind the Scenes Contribution award will go to Kenya Anthony-Moore, former production stage manager at Area Stage Company and former camp counselor at Miami Children’s Theatre.
- The Outstanding Contribution to Children’s Theatre award will go to Art Garcia, technical director at Miami Theatre Center and former assistant technical director at Actors’ Playhouse.
- The Outstanding Contribution to Community Theatre award will go to Judson Wright, of Cutler Bay Community Theater.
The Remy Awards’ namesake is Rem Cabrera, the former Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs’ Senior Cultural Administrator and Chief of Cultural Development.
The South Florida Theatre League is an alliance of theatrical organizations and professionals dedicated to nurturing, promoting, and advocating for the growth and prestige of the South Florida theater industry. For more information about the South Florida Theatre League and/or the Remy Awards, please contact Andie Arthur at email@example.com or (954) 557-0778