Actors’ Playhouse to reopen for holiday show
Photo by Alberto Romeu
Actors’ Playhouse is welcoming audiences back for a stage musical adaptation of Madeline’s Christmas.
Actors Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre will welcome back audiences for a “festive treat for adults and children alike.”
However, things will look different under the Coral Gables-based Actors’ Playhouse’ “New Normal” reopening plan, which Miami-Dade County approved. For instance, the Playhouse will require temperature checks, social distancing, and masks for admission to Madeline’s Christmas.
Actors’ Playhouse, an award-winning nonprofit regional professional theatre company, will present a two-week run of a musical adaptation of author/illustrator Ludwig Bemelmans’ story. Specifically, performances will take place at 2 p.m. Saturdays from Dec. 5-19. In addition, the theater company will present a 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 20 holiday performance.
Madeline fans might remember Madeline’s Christmas as a story beginning this way: “In an old house in Paris, covered in vines, lived 12 little girls in two straight lines.” In the musical adaptation, the day begins ordinarily for 12 little girls and their caretaker. However, the day ends in disaster; all but Madeline get sick. To make matters worse, it’s Christmas time. And so, the courageous Madeline will have to work some magic if this Christmas will be truly memorable for her and the others.
In a press release, Actors’ Playhouse outlined safety measures it is taking to keep COVID-19 at bay. For instance, “individuals with a temperature of 100.4 or above will not be allowed in the facility.” Further, the company will require guests to follow “guided, staggered times for entering and exiting the facility.”
Meanwhile, the following are other protocols Actors’ Playhouse is following. For more detailed information, call (305) 444-9293 or visit www.actorsplayhouse.org.
- Employees will undergo temperature checks, wear masks, and use gloves while on duty.
- The ticketing system will sell seats using a Social Distancing formula.
- Performance attendance will not exceed 30 percent of room capacity.
- Volunteers will scan tickets at the door.
- Audience members can only access online programs.
- On a daily basis, the company is disinfecting and sanitizing the auditoriums, restrooms, touch areas, common areas, and in between seats.
- Touchless hand sanitizing stations will remain in the common areas and touchless soap dispensers will be available in the restrooms.
- Actors’ Playhouse has strategically placed safety throughout the venue.
- Marked safe travel paths will be in place for entering and exiting the building, along with prompts for social distancing.
- Staff will frequently change the facility’s HVAC filters.
- Employees will frequently clean and sanitize carpets.
- Masks will be available for guests if they need them.
- Actors’ Playhouse has closed the concession area and water fountains.
- The company will allow only two people in an elevator at a time.
- Actors’ Playhouse is prohibiting food inside the facility.
Aaron Krause writes about theater and the arts.
You must be logged in to post a comment.